[mythtv-users] i need some myth-database sql help

bassem bassem at sonic.net
Wed Feb 18 20:12:46 EST 2004

Hello,
I've been struggling with this issue, my sql knowledge is pretty weak.
Here's the problem:
I've been using myth CVS and decided the easier way to use the Debian 0.14
packages to match my frontend.
For the life of me i can't get myth-database to install correctly.
Here's the error that i get when i try to install:
dpkg-reconfigure --force mythtv-database

Failed to connect to database: Access denied for user: 'root@<domainname>' (Using password: YES) at -e line 5, <> line 1.
Failed to create database (incorrect admin username/password?)
If you supplied incorrect information, try:
dpkg-reconfigure --force mythtv-database

I have tried all the passwords that i ever used and i still can't get it to work.

Now, my mysql.txt specifies :
DBHostName=localhost
DBUserName=mythtv
DBPassword=mythtv
DBName=mythconverg

# Set the following if you want to use something other than the
# machine's real hostname for identifying settings in the database.
# This is useful if your hostname changes often, as otherwise
# you'll need to reconfigure mythtv (or futz with the DB) every time.
# TWO HOSTS MUST NOT USE THE SAME VALUE
#
#LocalHostName=my-unique-identifier-goes-here
LocalHostName=10.15.71.102

When i try mythtv/mythtv user/password i get the following:
Failed to execute SQL: GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv at localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'rpGMQkKk'\nAccess denied for user: 'mythtv@%' to database 'mythconverg' at -e line 8, <> line 1.

I have no idea what rpGMQkKk is ? and i don't know how to change it.

Can someone please show me the errors of my way ? My last resort to to reinstall mysql
from scratch which will be painfull.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,
Bassem