[mythtv-users] PVR-250 remote with home built reciever

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 18:24:18 EST 2004

>From: "Tom Jaeger" <mail at networksinstalled.com>
>To: <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>Subject: [mythtv-users] PVR-250 remote with home built reciever
>Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 15:32:28 -0500
>
>I am going to be building a IR reciever from
>http://www.lirc.org/receivers.html.
>I have a backend system setup now and a second frontend computer to watch
>my shows on (long story but the pvr-250 crashes if i watch a recording
>while the card is recording).
>Can I use my silver PVR-250 remote with this reciever or do I need to
>purchase one?
>I have googled and searched lirc and here but no luck.
>Thanks
>Tom J

Just curious... why not get a universal remote?  The homebrew receiver
accepts
any IR code (pretty much) including RC-5.  You could get a cheap universal
remote and control Myth, TV, DVD, stereo, etc. with a single remote.  I have
the URC-6012 (AllforOne) and the Radio Shack 15-2116 also works (I think
that
is the correct model number).  Jarod wrote a good tutorial on setting up
using
RC-5 codes and these remotes (check his website).  The remote I have is $13
at WalMart and the Radio Shack is $30.  I'm as cheap as the next guy (well,
OK,
cheaper) but I didn't want to juggle remotes to all my components.

Just a suggestion.

P. S.  If you are REALLY cheap (like me) you can reuse the PVR-250 IR
receiver
when you build the homebrew by substituting it for the IR receiver in their
circuit (I soldered in a sub-mini jack instead and can just plug in the
Hauppauge
receiver).  Try this site if you want the illustrated, step-by-step version
of the
homebrew receiver (even tells you exactly how to bend the pins):

http://lnx.manoweb.com/lirc/?partType=section&partName=introduction

-- Harry O.