[mythtv-users] Re: running mythbackend as root (was: Mythweb says I have 75 out of 72 Gigs used)

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Wed Feb 18 17:40:43 EST 2004

> Why should mythbackend have to chuser itself?  Just don't run it as
> root.  There's no need to.  If you have permissions problems you need
> to solve them.  Running as root is not an advisable solution.

well, last I remembered, people were having a number of problems running
myth under redhat as a non-root user, which is why Axel's init.d script
doesn't su the mythbackend execution like the debian stuff apparently
does.

I'm happy to do things either way - but having mythbackend START as
root, and then chuser itself would allow it to make sure that it has the
proper permissions (correcting as necessary) before it turns itself into
a lesser userid.

--
Chris Petersen
Programmer / Web Designer