[mythtv-users] Commercial Flagging vs. Transcoding

John DeLuca johnfdeluca at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 16:36:43 EST 2004

I currently transcode all recordings (set to kick off immediately following completion of recording).  I don't intend to save the files...I merely transcode to have the commercials flagged so when I watch them later, I can skip past them (assuming it's done a good job of properly detecting commercials).

In reading another post, I am wondering if I really need transcoding?  I have a PVR-x50 and the recording profiles are set up for MPEG2- at 2200 bits for 720x480.  That's also the setting of transcoding.  My questions are:

1. Do I benefit from transcoding other than for commercial detection?  I assume there's perhaps some space saving since Iguess I go from MPEG2 to MPEG4 in the transcoding process.

2. If there's little/no benefit to transcoding (if I don't plan on saving the recordings after I watch them), should I just use the  mythcommflag before going to bed or on a schedule if that's the only real goal?

Mythtranscode does seem to take up a decent amount of CPU and perhaps if commercial flagging is the main goal, would  mythcommflag be a less CPU intensive task?