[mythtv-users] another DCT2000 query

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Wed Feb 18 15:50:52 EST 2004

At 07:19 PM 2/17/2004 -0800, Ian Forde wrote:
>On Tue, 2004-02-17 at 13:33, Ray Olszewski wrote:
> > I'm attempting to control a DCT2000 cable box using Jim Paris' (contrib) C
> > program.
[...]
>What about the python scripts that AFAIK are still in mythtv/contrib?

Yeah, thanks for the reminder. I tried this script and it sort of worked,
at least  well enough to let me write a very simple Perl program that
*only* does channel changes. I'm still a bit puzzled about what exactly the
DCT2000 is doing on the serial port ... the Python program reported
receiving responses from the DCR2000, while the C program and my Perl
program both did not ... but I guess that's not really a MythTV problem.

For others: the key lesson here is not to trust negative reports from
software that is supposed to access the serial port. Use the test packet
from the TiVo Forum for a (seemingly) dead sure test of whether the port is
active ... this test packet will turn the box off (or on) if the port works.

If this test works, then the serial port works on the DCT end, so do
whatever it takes to get the thing running. If it does not, the serial port
is disabled on the DCT end, almost surely.

Thanks again, Ian.