[mythtv-users] Hardware explanations

Vincent K. Britton Vincent.Britton at wiznet.com
Tue Feb 17 16:31:32 EST 2004

I am getting ready to take the myth plunge and build my PVR.

First let me explain my intended setup.  I plan to build a 3 GHz back
end sever for the storage and recording.  I then plan to have up to 3
Front end units.

I have read the how to and have a good idea as to the hardware I intend
to get, but I have a few remaining questions.

1)       I plan on getting 3 or 4- PVR350's or PVR250's cards as the
Hauppauge seem to be the most supported by myth.  The question that
remains is that in reviewing the Specifications Chart on the Hauppauge
web site it appears that the only difference between the 2 cards is that
the 350 has a MPEG2 Decoder when the machine they are installed in
doesn't directly display any video?

2)       With 4 PVR#50's do I need to upgrade to a dual CPU machine?

3)       I also intend to get a pcHDTV card for HD recording.  Will
programs that I record with that card in HD play on my Standard
Definition TV connected to a different front end machine?

4)       Speaking of the front end machine I have found the XBOX Mod
that makes it into a front end machine.  I would love to utilize the
inexpensive hardware of an XBOX for my front end units.  Does anyone
have experience running this?  I get the impression that it will work
fine for Standard Definitions but not High Definition even though the
XBOX is capable or HD out.  User experiences would be greatly
appreciated!

5)       Should the XBOX front end be more trouble then it is worth, I
would be interested in hearing experiences or recommendations regarding
Minimyth on the Via EPIA M systems.  Is this little gut capable of HD
Output at 1080i?

6)       What are the network bandwidth requirements for viewing?  Does
the backend server Stream to the front end units are the front end units
caching?

I appreciate any guidance on the above questions!

Additionally I would like to know if any of the following assumptions
are incorrect

1)       PIP (Picture in Picture) is built in to the myth application
and is independent from the Televisions PIP.  Availability is dependant
on the number of tuner cards or sources on the backend server.

2)       Myth uses its own GUI independent from GNOME or KDE.  Therefore
I wouldn't be able to load another application to access streaming audio
or anything.

I hope that I am able to contribute to this forum in the future, but as
I am but a mere blank slate right now I only have a lot of questions!

Thanks in advanced for any help you are able to give,

Vince