[mythtv-users] Re: MythWeb::Music Rewrite - Submitted for your approval...

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu+mythtv-users at beirdo.ca
Tue Feb 17 15:39:30 EST 2004

Chris Petersen <lists at forevermore.net> wrote:
>> Very cool. The one thing I personally use a lot is the genre part of the
>> id3 tag. I don't have nearly as many records as you do (only 2616 songs)
>> but I find that I like to listen to an entire genre rather than specific
>> albums.

> I'd have to vote for genre, too...  And would suggest a more
> itunes/rhythmbox interface if you're setting up playlists like that
> (although at last check, php had issues with multi-select values and
> wouldn't actually send the multiple values but would overwrite them)

I tend to always be listening to my music by genre as well.  Occasionally, I'd
want to to it by artist too.

> Just curious - where do you grab the songs from?  Did you create a
> passthrough link, or actually symlink the songs into the webdir?

This is a very good question.  I think assuming that the web server is on the
same machine as the master backend is a *very* bad assumption.  Due to the
distributed nature of MythTV, it is quite possible to run the web stuff on a
completely different machine as long as it can access both the MySQL database
and the master backend's port.

Before anyone asks, yes, this is exactly how I have it set up.  I already had
a fully running virtual-hosting apache in my network, and had no desire to set
up another.  So my MythWeb is accessible to the world via HTTP authentication
over https.  Which means I can modify the programming from anywhere with a
browser, but without maintaining yet another apache install.

If the MP3 files are being directly accessed off the filesystem, then this
should be well documented, as it will just not work unless the web server is
on the same machine as the backend.  You might be able to pound it into
submission using NFS mounts, etc, of course.

> But seriously, this is awesome.  Especially if we could get it
> integrated with some kind of streaming server (how's the support for
> this coming in the backend?)....

That would be really cool. :)  Shoutcast would do well.  There might be some
minor legal problems with this due to some strange limitations on internet
broadcasting, but a cool idea nevertheless.  I guess if it is only ever used
internally by the family, the normal rules may not apply.

Just some thoughts.
Gavin