[mythtv-users] slave backend configuration questions

Larry Matter mythtv2 at matter.net
Tue Feb 17 11:51:20 EST 2004

> I was planning on NFS exporting the storage on the master so the slave
> can read the files directly. I think I set Master Backend Override on the
> slave to enable this. (yes?).

I've been wondering if there is an advantage to doing this when the files
reside on the backend machine (i.e., is mythtv streaming better/worse/same
as getting the files over NFS).  I was under the impression this feature
was designed for cases where the files are also NFS mounted to the
backend.

Obviously you want to NFS mount the storage for purposes of recording,
just wasn't sure if NFS was ideal for playback (i.e. using the override
setting).

> The slave also has about 20GB of space available for recording. Will this
> space ever be used? Do I configure the backend on the slave to point at
> this space or do I point it at the NFS exported space? If the slave
> records
> something locally (assuming it can do this) will it ever move over to the
> master?
> Do I NFS export this directory from the slave to the master and enable
> Master
> Backend Override there as well?

Personally, I would just use the 20g for the slave's ring buffer and avoid
all this headache.

Larry