[mythtv-users] Pro's and Con's of pvr 350s

Torsten Schenkel mythtv at isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Feb 17 10:41:55 EST 2004

On Di, 2004-02-17 at 15:18, Kevin Barsby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking into building a MythTV box, I was (hopefully) going to get
> a hushpc (Fanless EPIA M based system) and have got a conundrum about
> capture board.
>
> I have the following requirements:
> - Monitor-less system (TV out only)
> - Full use of Myth functions (MythGame etc)
> - Digital Audio output (Dolby 5.1)
> - High WAF factor :-)
> - S-Video/Composite input for capture from digibox
>
> So onto the questions...
>
> - I read somewhere that with the EPIA M motherboards the digital audio
>    uses the coax socket also used by the TV-out?

Yes, sp/dif uses the same jack as tv-composite-out, but there's an
additional s-video out.

> If this is the case then I'll need this functionality in the capture device.

sp/dif and s-video is an option.

> - Does the PVR 350 support all of the MythTV modules when it it used as
>    the TV-out device?

MythGame and MythMusic visualization wont work on the pvr, because xv
and sdl are not supported on the framebuffer.

> - Are there any (other) drawbacks to using the PVR-350 TV-out?

Only mpeg1/2 content display

> - Are there any other cards that provide an MPEG2 encoder / decoder and
>    Composite / S-Video in?

The pvr250 has the encoder, but no decoder. In combination with the
onboard tv-out you'll get a decent box. Note: The epia's h/w decoder
support has been dropped by Isaac and is "as is". There'll be others on
the list that can say more about it. I wasn't very content with the
quality of the tv-out, maximum overscan didn't fill my TV properly,
picture was a bit blurry. So I went for the pvr350. If you don't need
MythGame, MythMusic visualisations and only play mpeg1/2 content
(transcode divx on another machine) the Epia/pvr350 makes a fine combo.

> Thanks
> Kevin

Walkthrough: MythTV on Epia with PVR350 using Debian:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/myth/mythtv_debian_epia_pvr350_walkthrough