[mythtv-users] A/V system diagram - please tear it apart

Timo Boettcher spida at gmx.net
Tue Feb 17 08:34:33 EST 2004

Hi Mike,

* Mike Jasper <e394td at comcast.net>, Tuesday, February 17, 2004, 8:52:26 AM:

> Hi - I'm reworking my A/V system and integrating a new MythTV box at
> the same time. I'm trying to visualize what connections need to be
> made, etc., for this to work, so I drew a powerpoint diagram -
> http://home.comcast.net/~e394td/temp/av.gif .
What do you gain by routing audio and video from the sats through that
receiver to the myth-box, then back through the receiver to the TV?
IMO, anything an analog signal goes to should be avoided, especially
if you are going to digtalize it afterwards. Random noise just eats to
much bandwidth when being diditalized.

> 1) I'm not certain I should be routing audio and video from the Myth
> box back to the receiver, instead of straight to the TV. But it
> seems like then I wouldn't get audio via the receiver unless I route
> it back from the TV to the receiver (yes, I'm confused :-) ).
you got me confused there, too :-)

> 2) On the PVR-250, how do you input audio to the card?  Looking at
> the image (http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/15-116-602-05.JPG)
> I think all I see is a 1/4" stereo jack. In that case I guess I'll
> need a conversion cable (RCA audio male -> 1/4" male plug) to go
> from my receiver to the card?
There isn't a cable that does that (at least, I haven't found one). I
am using Double or Trible shielded RCA - RCA cables from some
car-stereo shop (just to much noise behind my computers) and put an
RCA female to 1/4" male plug adaptor on it.

> 3) My Aopen GX440 card has DVI output. Any sense trying to do DVI ->
> component (is there such a cable?) so that I can then output component
> video from the receiver to the TV?  Or should I just stick to S-video?
DVI is DIGITAL video interface. afaik component is analog, so even if
your dvi has analog signal, why not use vga?

> THANK YOU for any comments - I'm sure I'm missing something here.

 Timo