[mythtv-users] pcHDTV w/ MythTV

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Feb 16 23:51:18 EST 2004

On Feb 16, 2004, at 16:44, Penguin Man wrote:

> 	I've got a pIV 2.4g cpu sitting on an ASUS mb, Im thinking about
> upgrading my
> hardware to an NVidia card an the pcHDTV card. I've got my setup hooked
> directly upto my HDTV set via DVI and the ATI8500 (960x540i).

I think you mean 960x540p.

> I noticed a
> while ago that the pcHDTV card was begining to get supported, I'm
> curious
> what the experience has been with owners of this card, and what, if any
> recomendations anyone would have (I'm thinking about getting the
> NVidia MX
> 440 card).

I haven't really touched mine in a few months. It had issues back then,
which prompted me to keep it out of my production system, and I just
haven't had time to get back to it. But from everything I read on the
dev list, things are rapidly improving with it, and its now very
usable.

> I currently have the PVR250 card and it seems to work pretty well,
> it would be very nice to be able to get that kind of quality from the
> pcHDTV
> - is that even possible?

What exactly do you mean by "that kind of quality"? The quality of the
video captured by a pcHDTV card BLOWS AWAY the video captured by a
PVR-250. If you mean quality as far as stability, it isn't quite as
good, but steadily improving.

> 	My goal may be unreasonable, but since more channels have been coming
> out in
> HD I've realized that I'm not watching the cable channels that much
> anymore.
> So, if I can get HD over broadcast (8 channels currently) and workable
> under
> Myth, then I will just drop the $100/mo cable bill and instead invest
> in this
> setup...

I believe your goals are fairly reasonable. I hope to get my pcHDTV
card set up again sometime before 2010, time permitting, but I can't do
without my cable service just yet (too many shows I watch that aren't
on bcast). ;-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...