[mythtv-users] 1/8" IR Emitters

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Mon Feb 16 15:27:01 EST 2004

Quoting "Timon, John" <john.timon at labatt.com>:

> in all seriousness, the transmitter circuit is dead easy.
>
> two serial pins, one diode and one tiny resistor, then scavenge an LED from
> an old remote.
>
> you can even purchase a bread-board or circuit board at an electronics shop
> to wire it.
>
> the whole circuit is small and you could encase it in anything that catches
> your fancy.
>
> I can't imagine that the effort in getting one of these devices functional
> is as easy and cheap as making your own.
>
> but that is just me.
I'm guessing that those 1/8" emitters are just "dumb" emitters, and almost
surely they can be connected to act just like an LIRC homebrew serial
transmitter.  Most likely only with three plain 'ole wires, but possibly a
series resistor might be needed.  (depending on if the emitter assembly already
has a resistor.)