[mythtv-users] OT: rpm and apt-get broken

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Feb 15 15:48:03 EST 2004

On Feb 15, 2004, at 11:45, Vinton Coffman wrote:

> I know this is off topic but I was hoping someone could tell me how to
> fix this without breaking mythtv or starting over from scratch.
>
> apt-get errors on update
>
> [root at localhost root]#  apt-get update
> Get:1 http://ayo.freshrpms.net redhat/9/i386 release [1170B]
> Get:2 http://apt.physik.fu-berlin.de redhat/9/en/i386 release [1516B]
> Fetched 2686B in 0s (7436B/s)
[snip]
> error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h#     678 blob size(2232): BAD, 8
> + 16 * il(67) + dl(1828)
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
>
> and apt-get segfaults installing
>
> [root at localhost root]#  apt-get install xmltv
> error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h#     678 blob size(2232): BAD, 8
> + 16 * il(67) + dl(1828)
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these:
> Segmentation fault
>
> rpm --rebuilddb errors too
>
> [root at localhost root]# rpm --rebuilddb
> error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h#     688 Header V3 DSA signature:
> BAD, key ID db42a60e
> error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h#     688 Header V3 DSA signature:
> BAD, key ID db42a60e
> error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h#     688 Header V3 DSA signature:
> BAD, key ID db42a60e
>
> ... this continues for a couple of pages
> ending with a segmentation fault
>
> I can't seem to reinstall rpm from rpms either
> [root at localhost root]# rpm --freshen rpm-4.2-0.69.i386.rpm
> error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h#     688 Header V3 DSA signature:
> BAD, key ID db42a60e
> warning: rpm-4.2-0.69.i386.rpm: V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
> 00000000
> error: rpmdbNextIterator: skipping h#     688 Header V3 DSA signature:
> BAD, key ID db42a60e
> [root at localhost root]#
>
> Can someone please help?

I can try... First, did you "# rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*"? If not, try
that, then run rpm --rebuilddb again. If that doesn't work, it looks
like you rpm keys might have been tanked somehow. Try moving Pubkeys
out of /var/lib/rpm/, then try rebuilding again. You'll have to
reimport rpm signing keys after that, if it actually works... If not,
ouch. Very Bad Things do occasionally happen to rpm databases that are
nearly impossible to recover from. :-\

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...