[mythtv-users] Mythtv hanging

mythtv at codepoets.ca mythtv at codepoets.ca
Sun Feb 15 13:44:08 EST 2004

I've been having a problem with mythtv since I installed it.  It seems to
happen primarily with video files, but it happens to a lesser extent with
audio files as well.

When I try to view a movie mythtv seems to hang or not respond.  For
example if I try to pause the movie, it just keeps playing this is the
same for all the other commands - FFW, REW, ESC, etc.  It's the same if I
use the keyboard or remote.  With audio files, most of those commands
work.  I can pause it, but the mythfronend takes a while to process the
request.  I'm not sure why.  My CPU is running at 75% idle when playing a
movie and higher when playing an mp3.  The only thing I can think of is
that there are so many networked files, that it's taking a while to catch
up.  I've been using Freeco for a while now and I've never had a problem
with it.  Anyone heard of this?

TIA!

The background:
Athlon 800
40 GB hdd
Most of my video/music files are stored on Samba or NFS shares
I have about 60GB music files and 80 GB video files
768 MB RAM
I'm using the Hauppauge WinFast XP TV tuner card
SB Live!
I have the latest mythtv RPMs installed on RedHat 9, Kernel is 2.4.20-27.9