[mythtv-users] powerdown a masterbackend box

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Sun Feb 15 07:48:53 EST 2004

> Van: Johannes Niess <linux at johannes-niess.de>
>
> The tricky part is to have the box power up again for the next recording.
> How to do that depends on your hardware, kernel, BIOS setiings, etc. I
> recommend to test both routes from the command line:
> A) "apmsleep +1m" or " <set rtc alarm>; apm -S"
> B) echo "2004-02-15 12:17:00" >/proc/acpi/alarm; echo 4 >
> /proc/acpi/sleep

I've used nvram_wakeup (to set the RTC alarm) on my Asus Pundit, and a full
'shutdown -h now'. Yes, it might boot slower than with hibernation, but
takes even less juice.

So that's a 3rd option.

> Route A requires APM support in your kernel and luck that BIOS switches
> off the fans.
>
> Route B uses ACPI and may need a 2.6 kernel. Even then it does not result
> in a "resume from disk" for me, but in a not so clean reboot. With a 2.4
> kernel you could also try to the other integers to /proc/acpi/sleep. But
be
> prepared for unclean shutdown.

Doesn't it require more than this normaly (aka, most X servers don't like
hibernation since the video-card will be reset, so you need to stop and
start it, etc.)?

> As I have no dedicated mythtv box I need more intelligence before
> shuting down. Load < 0.1 and no logins need to be checked.

How did you add that, load checking? Some 'watchdog deamon' that kills the
frontend and backend when both have been idle for X minutes? And and
restarts it (how do you do that on a managed desktop?) when the machine
wakes up again?

I'd like to have my frontend 'always on'. But that seems to be impossible
with MythTV 0.14, since the frontend connection keeps the backend from
shutting down, and the frontend doesn't disconnect after some timeout.

> P.S: When do the shutdown timers start? Before or after ad cleaning and
> transcoding?

Does commercial skip even work in Germany? (you are german, aren't you?
noticing the .de adress)

	Henk Poley <><