[mythtv-users] Re: Slightly OT:ATrpm Kernel and DVB?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de
Sun Feb 15 05:30:30 EST 2004

On Sat, Feb 14, 2004 at 09:49:02PM -0500, Philippe Daoust wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have my hands on a DVB card for a little while (Nexus-s) and I wanted to
> try the Myth DVB support just for the hell of it (also tinkering with VDR).
>
> My current install is based on Jarod's guide (thanks Jarod BTW) so I am
> using the ATrpm Kernel.  When I try to compile the DVB drivers I get an
> error saying:
>
> "make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2163.nptl_32.rhfc1.at'
>
> The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
> Type 'make config' and enable loadable module support.
> Then build a kernel with module support enabled."
>
> The README also says you need :
>
> - Video4Linux Support (CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV)
> - Input Core Support (CONFIG_INPUT)
> - Event Device Support (CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV)
>
> I'm pretty sure the first one is in the atRPM kernel but I'm not usre about
> the other two

Check /boot/config-`uname -r` for these CONFIG options. They are all
turned on (as modules). As another poster replied you need to prepare
the kernel source tree by copying the right .config file in place and
removing the "custom" suffix of the release string. Run make oldconfig
twice and make dep once.

> I checked around Axel's site and I coulnd't find a kernel that seemed
> suitable for DVB.  Is that the case???  I guess worse case I'll compile my
> own but that would suck...  Last time I compiled a kernel was back in the
> days of RH7.0 and all I remember is that you have to answer like a hundred
> questions to get it done (99% of which you have no idea what the hell they
> are about) and that it ook a lot of time...
>
> Thanks for any pointers!

Requests for linux-dvb support get more frequent. If it can be done as
external kernel modules, they could be packaged for ATrpms. Anyone
with matching hardware interested in taking the lead in this
(especially providing build information, testing and coordination with
other dvb users)?
Axel.Thimm at physik.fu-berlin.de