[mythtv-users] Re: Lirc and Mythtv (Hauppauge Gray Remote)

mythgnomer at rowelab.com mythgnomer at rowelab.com
Sat Feb 14 11:53:41 EST 2004

 Okay.. If there's no /dev/lirc, that was probably the problem.. But since
you're at the point of reinstalling from source, simple instructions follow
for that..

$> wget
http://lirc.sourceforge.net/software/snapshots/lirc-0.7.0pre2.tar.bz2
$> tar -xjf lirc-0.7.0pre2.tar.bz2
$> cd lirc-0.7.0pre2
$> ./setup.sh

Select 'Driver Configuration' .. Then 'TV Card'.. Then 'Hauppauge TV Card'.
Back at the main screen, choose 'Save Configuration and Run Configure'.
When that's done..

$> make
$> su
$> make install

Now, go check for /dev/lirc -- make install should have created an entry
like:
crw-r--r--    1 root     root      61,   0 Jan 18 23:05 /dev/lirc

If it didn't, you can create it manually 'mknod /dev/lirc c 61 0' but like I
said, it _should_ be there at this point.

Next step is to edit /etc/modules.conf and add 'alias char-major-61
lirc_i2c' and 'add below ivtv lirc_i2c'. This makes the lirc modules load up
after the PVR-250 modules.

You can either reboot to test, or just try 'modprobe lirc_i2c'. If that
doesn't give you any errors, then on to the next step.

Before you start up lircd, you need to have a config file that matches your
remote. You can use irrecord to make one, go download one from lirc.org, or
just use the one I've attached for the hauppauge grey (*grin*). Once that's
copied to the /etc directory, you can start lircd. You should see something
like the following in /var/log/lircd

Feb 14 10:37:23 miniitx lircd 0.7.0pre2: lircd(hauppauge) ready

Before moving on to the mythtv part, try running irw, and pointing the
remote toward the IR sensor and pushing buttons. You should see the button
names come up.

If that looks okay, copy the hauppauge-lircrc-nativelirc file from the
mythtv-0.14/configfiles directory into the .mythtv directory of the user
that you run mythfrontend as.. Ie,

$> cp /root/mythtv-0.14/configfiles/hauppauge-lircrc-nativelirc
/home/scott/.mythtv/lircrc

You should be able to log in as that user (in my case 'scott') and start up
mythfrontend and have the remote work.

Hope this helps..
-Scott Rowe