[mythtv-users] Radioshack Universal Remotes

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Feb 13 21:34:01 EST 2004

On Friday 13 February 2004 11:46, Darren Mak wrote:

> Now that I have myth working the way I want it, I am interested in getting
> rid of the four remotes I have to use in my frontend setup.
>
> TV - needed till now because of the tv/video button that my shaw cable box
> remote did not have
>
> Cable Box - For my umm cable box
>
> VCR - nuff said
>
> XBOX - Generic Xbox DVD remote to control mythfrontend
>

> Can the Radioshack 15-2116 remote that seems to be popular replace a
> Motorola DCT2000 remote

I've got a Motorola DCT2000-series cable box also. I used to have two until
Comcast brought out the 5100. They just left me with the same remote.

> as well as the Xbox DVD remote to control myth as
> well as adding Tv/Video functionality?

I'm controlling my XBox that way.

> Since Jarod mentions the Motorola
> Digital cable DCT-5100 on his site I am assuming it would work for the DCT
> 2000

Yes, they both use the exact same codes. I've got a second nearly identical RS
remote controlling my DCT2000 upstairs.

> and since the Xbox remote can be replaced with the one for all remotes
> setup as RCA I would assume this would work in Myth as well.

Yes, the codes for One-4-All remotes are identical to the ones for RS, because
both are made by Universal Electronics.

Check out http://www.hifi-remote.com/

> This being said I am at the next crossroads with this. the 15-2116 is not
> available in Canada according to Radioshack however the following remotes
> on the three pages at.
>
> http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Category.aspx?language=en-CA
> <http://www.radioshack.ca/estore/Category.aspx?language=en-CA&pagenum=1&cat
>e gory=Universal+Remote+Controls&catalog=RadioShack>
> &pagenum=1&category=Universal+Remote+Controls&catalog=RadioShack
>
> are available in Canada. Would someone who knows about the 15-2116 or who
> has used another remote take a look at the link above and see If any of
> these would be acceptable.

Huh. That could be a problem. I don't know anything about any of those, but
you might be able to tell from the site I linked above which of those remotes
would also work. That, or if you can get a One-4-All remote, it should be
able to control all the same stuff as the RS remote, and the programming
should be only trivially different from the programming for the RS remote.
The hifi-remote site has a page on how to program just about all O4A and RS
remotes...

- --
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...