[mythtv-users] Proposed scheduler change - feedback please

Keith Bonawitz bonawitz at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 13 16:34:56 EST 2004

Would it reasonable to expose the scheduler as a kind of plugin/theme?  What
is "correct" for the scheduler to do seems like something different people
are going disagree on -- why not let they choose what works best for them?
Also, if the plugin architecture was relatively clean, it might encourage
contributions those who have expertise in resource scheduling but don't want
to muck about with the whole system.

--Keith

Caveat: I'm relatively new here, and haven't had a chance yet to dig through
the source -- though I hope to, and the scheduler sounds like a very
interesting place to try out some ideas, especially if I could always just
go to the config screen and revert back to the reference-version scheduler
plugin ;-)

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of steve at nexusuk.org
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 3:26 AM
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
Subject: [mythtv-users] Proposed scheduler change - feedback please

As some of you probably know, the scheduler is having some big changes
done to it ATM.  A question has come up on the -dev list and I want to ask
the opinion of all the users:

In MythTV 0.13 and lower, if 2 different shows of equal priority
conflicted then you could tell it to always make one override the other
when the same 2 shows conflicted in the future.  In MythTV 0.14, the
ability to set new overrides like this was removed although it still pays
attention to the overrides that were already set up before upgrading.

The proposed scheduler changes are planned to completely remove this
functionality and go to a purely priority based conflict resolution
system.  I believe this is a Bad Thing since as far as I can tell, that
would make the conflict resolution more difficult to control, less
flexible and less intuitive.  Especially for those of us with only a
single tuner (and so many more conflicts).

I'd like your opinions on the matter - do we keep this functionality in
in addition to the priorities (like it is in 0.13) or rip it out
completely leaving only priorities?

--

 - Steve                                             http://www.nexusuk.org/