[mythtv-users] Multiple Backends -- I need ideas folks

Dan Fleming dfleming at swings.2y.net
Fri Feb 13 11:51:30 EST 2004

I have a unique problem.  I'm hoping someone out there can come up with
a solution better than what I have worked out so far.

Here is my setup:

Air HDTV -----

             ----> Samsung STB ----> Myth Slave

DirecTV ------

DirecTV ---------> RCA STB --------> Myth Master

The Master-backend is able to change the channels on the RCA DirecTV
box, However the Slave-backend does not have the ability to change the
channel on the Samsung DirecTV tuner so I don't want it to record
something unless specifically told to do so (I want to be able to record
those open-air HDTV programs -- otherwise I would just use it as a
Frontend).

To keep the Master-backend from directing the Slave to record I setup
two Video Sources, one called "RCA" and the other "Samsung" and assigned
backend-tuners to them accordingly.

This works, but it makes the Channel Guide very, very clunky.  When
displayed it looks like:

501 - HBO
501 - HBO
502 - HBO2
502 - HBO2

Now I've figured out that first displayed channel is the Master-backend
and the second is the Slave, but swimming through nearly 400 channels
find the one you want is tiresome.  It's almost like I need to be able
to set a Backend ranking or priority level...

Any ideas?

---Dan