[mythtv-users] Is it possible to force transcoding to run on a slave backend?

Mike Myers mikesm559 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 12 19:59:46 EST 2004

I am thing about modifying my myth config to remote all the storage over NFS from a remote server (on top of a GB ethernet network over the CAT5 in my house) to reduce the heat and noise footprint of my MythTV server that runs in my A/V rack. This allows me to add a lot more storage than will fit in my desktop system in the rack.  And it's quieter that way too.

Then the thought came to me about also remoting the transcoding as well to a slave backend.  This would allow me to get by with less powerful CPU in my A/V rack making it even cooler and quieter.  I don't want to move to just running the frontend in the rack because all my coax wiring and set-top boxes are in the rack, so I need to have the backend functionality with all the tuner cards there.  But if the storage is remoted there is no need to have the transcoding done in the rack either.  The capture and playback functions take very little CPU.

But I don't know how to make the transcoding function work on a tunerless slave backend, or if that's even possible.  Does anyone here have any ideas for me?

Thanks,
Mike