[mythtv-users] RE: MythTV Webminmodule - anyone interested?

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Thu Feb 12 16:38:10 EST 2004

Lance Tost wrote:

>On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Chris Petersen wrote:
>

>>to put apache on their frontend machines).  However, for the backend
>>config PLEASE contribute this as an expansion to mythweb, not a separate
>>project.
>>

>I don't know, so I'm asking... does Webmin provide any sort of security
>framework?  If so, it might be a good idea to consider converting MythWeb
>into a Webmin module and providing different access levels via Webmin
>(ie., let my family schedule recordings but don't let them mess with key
>bindings).
>
>Just a thought...

Thats a VERY good point!  Some people (like myself) allow remote access
to mythweb using htpasswd.  The reason for this is that I can
modify/change programs settings from my phone over GPRS.  If I am at
work, then I can SSH, and tunnel - which I would rather do ;)

Anyway - I would definately not be 100% happy about exposing the mythweb
interface if it gave admin type rights - no matter how much user
auth/protection was available.  Hence why a webmin module suits my needs
perfectly - webmin, by default, runs on port 10000 - this is therefore
separate from my mythweb access - and can easily be tunnelled.

So - Issac, I agree in principal that this sort of thing should really
come under mythweb - however, for me it is preferable that admin
functions listen on a different port.

The alternative would be a text based management/setup based tool
instead of X based - now that I can connect to and use from my phone,
from work - in fact, from anywhere!  That would be useful.....

Yes - I can see that I probably shouldn't be tinkering with MythTV from
work - but I find it much easier to reconfigure things, upgrade things,
muck about with things whilst at work - cos that seems to be the only
time when people aren't using the system.

Just my 2p.....