[mythtv-users] Recordings to DVD

Greg geflatt at hfx.eastlink.ca
Thu Feb 12 14:43:34 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 14:36, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> On Thursday 12 February 2004 08:58, J. Donavan Stanley wrote:
> > Greg wrote:

> > > I've know that Myth has be able to transcode from MPEG2 to MPEG4
> > > for a while now, but I am not able to play transcode files in
> > > Mplayer. This morning I attempted to play a transcode MPEG4 file in
> > > Mplayer and Xine to see if something changed, but I am still unable
> > > to play the file. I remember the patch for Mplayer that allow
> > > this.... If there is something I'm missing I'd sure like to know
> > > it.... =_)
> >
> > Odd, I tried the same experiment earlier and had no issues...
>
> How are you transcoding the files?  Inside of Myth (i.e., auto-transcode
> or press "X" during playback, using the transcoding profiles), or
> outside of Myth (using nuvexport or transcode)?  AFAIK, if you want to
> transcode to a portable/standard format, you need to use an external
> tool like transcode (if your original recordings are HW-generated MPEG)
> or nuvexport (for both HW- and SW-encoded Myth recordings).
>
> -JAC

I'm transcoding within Myth. My original thought on how transcoding
works concurs  with your statement, that being; transcoding within Myth
creates a non portable MPEG4 file. To get a portable file, transcode the
MPEG2 files using other tools.. The transcoding that MythDVD uses to rip
a dvd is a port format is it not? If so it would be nice if Myth used
that method...

Greg