[mythtv-users] Spilt Myth mailing list?

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 12 11:40:12 EST 2004

Quoting Jason S <jms_temp at yahoo.com>:

> Given the amount of traffic on the topic it's pretty
> obvious people feel strongly on both sides.
> (Personally I like both approaches, I'll stick to the
> list but might check the forums periodically.)
In my case I'd like a forum for the "easy" stuff where I can sit and answer
questions, and it would be nice to have this list more for "power user"
discussions with less traffic.

> Isaac: Why don't you just put a link in the docs or
> links section to one of the Myth forums? That makes
> the forum folks happy, and they'll stop harassing the
> list so much. The most popular one:
> http://mythtv.no-ip.com/bbs/
I'll have to check that out.  One of the complaints the forum-haters have is
"forums exist but no one uses them" - No one uses them because no one knows
about them.

Hmm.  I like the structure.  Pretty close to what I would have created.  Maybe
split video into seperate forums for capture and playback.

I suggest removing the bug reports and feature requests sections though, we know
those aren't going to be used.  (Or at least not read by people that matter.)

What are you hosting that site on?  I know someone mentioned having registered
www.mythforums.net or something, and Oxygen just offered hosting if you happend
to be running this from a home box or something.

> If you feel like it, you can even say "not supported
> by the cool people" next to the link. :-) Seriously,
> putting a link is trivial and gives the forum-frenzy
> folks (technically inclinded or newbie, you/we
> shouldn't care) somewhere they can go and puts an end
> to this silly thread...
Pretty much my sentiments exactly.  Isaac doesn't have to register, read, or
post to the forums.  But it would be nice to at least have the courtesy to link
to a forum site set up by a dedicated and loyal users, even if it has a
disclaimer of "Completely unofficial and not affiliated with the core developers."

All that is needed to bury this thread forever is a link.  (But I think there
should be some discussion, probably off-list, of exactly where to link to.  I
think the mythtv.no-ip.com forums are an extremely good start.)