[mythtv-users] TV aspect ratio problem

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Thu Feb 12 07:08:19 EST 2004

	I, too, have the same problem.  Does mythtv assume that the display
uses traditional computer 4:3 square pixels?  If so, that might be something
worth adding to a configuration, since tvout inherently blows away the notion
of square pixels.  I'm running a homebrew 720x480 modeline (at NTSC
frequencies), and I have to set the PVR-250 to record at 16:9 for it to play
correctly without adjustment.

	Thoughts, comments?  I guess the real deal is three different aspect
ratios:
- What it's recorded at
- What X on the computer runs at
- What they TV physically is (4:3 or 16:9)

-Cory

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Paul Woodward wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've just upgraded to the very latest CVS from CVS 2 days before 0.14
> was released.
>
> I'm using a monitor as a TV, running at 1024x768. The TV picture now
> appears to scale to the full size of my screen (both vertically and
> horizontally) so that 16:9 broadcasts look more like 4:3 and 4:3 is very
> squashed. I've tried playing with the appearance settings, but nothing
> makes it look as it used to.
>
> 1.	Is this an intentional change?
> 2.	Do I need to configure X to run my monitor at a non-conventional
> resolution?
>
> If no.2 is the solution, any pointers would be useful.
>
> Thanks, Paul

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*
* 	- teach what you do.						*