[mythtv-users] Re: Lirc and Mythtv (Hauppauge Gray Remote)

Aleaxander alex at carbonated.com
Thu Feb 12 00:52:14 EST 2004

Harry Orenstein wrote:
> <top posting due to peer pressure>
>
> Are you sure you configured lirc correctly?  Did you edit
> /etc/sysconfig/lircd
> and /etc/rc.d/init.d/lircd?  These have to be setup to use your correct
> modules (lirc_dev and lirc_serial if serial or lirce_i2c if PVR-250 or...).

I don't have anything under /etc/sysconfig/lircd, but on the system that
is working, there is no file there as well.  As far as
/etc/rc.d/init.d/lircd, it contains the following (same on both systems):

#!/bin/sh
#
# $Id: lircd.init,v 1.1 2002/09/28 11:54:12 dude Exp $
# Startup script for the Linux Infrared Remote Control.
#
# chkconfig: - 90 10
#
# config: /etc/lircd.conf

# Source 'em up
. /etc/init.d/functions

[ -x /usr/sbin/lircd ]  || exit 1
[ -x /usr/sbin/lircmd ] || exit 1
[ -f /etc/lircd.conf ]  || [ -f /etc/lircmd.conf ] || exit 1

RETVAL=0

start(){
	if [ -f /etc/lircd.conf ]; then
		echo -n $"Starting infrared remote control daemon: "
		daemon lircd
		RETVAL=$?
		echo
	fi
	if [ -f /etc/lircmd.conf ]; then
		echo -n $"Starting infrared remote control mouse daemon: "
		daemon lircmd
		RETVAL=$?
		echo
	fi
	touch /var/lock/subsys/lircd
	return $RETVAL
}

stop(){
	if [ -f /etc/lircmd.conf ]; then
		echo -n $"Stopping infrared remote control mouse daemon: "
		killproc lircmd
		echo
	fi
	if [ -f /etc/lircd.conf ]; then
		echo -n $"Stopping infrared remote control daemon: "
		killproc lircd
		echo
	fi
	RETVAL=$?
	rm -f /var/lock/subsys/lircd
	return $RETVAL
}

restart(){
	stop
	start
}

# See how we were called.
case "$1" in
	start)
		start
		;;
	stop)
		stop
		;;
	restart)
		restart
		;;
	status)
		status lircd
		;;
	condrestart)
		[ -e /var/lock/subsys/lircd ] && restart
		;;
	*)
		echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|status|restart|condrestart}"
		RETVAL=1
esac

exit $RETVAL

> Also, did you correctly set up your modules.conf?

Modules.conf contains the following:

path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates
# default path
path[toplevel]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
alias eth0 8139too
# alias sound-slot-0 via82cxxx_audio
# post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
# pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
 >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
alias usb-controller usb-uhci
alias usb-controller1 ehci-hcd
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
options ivtv ivtv_debug=1 mpg_buffers=90
options tuner type=2 # NTSC tuner
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner
add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c
alias ieee1394-controller ohci1394
# nvidia kernel module
alias char-major-195 nvidia-1.0-4363
# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.1 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
alias sound-slot-0 snd-via82xx
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

It looks correct compared to the one that is working.  All the calls for
lirc_i2c are in the same spot.

> You probably need to provide more info.  In most configurations you
> should be able to use the command "service" to start/stop and get the
> status of services from the command line.  This would probably give you
> more info than the GUI version.  Also, if you enabled the daemon to run
> automatically at boot I would disable it and run it manually (via the
> service
> command or just by typing "/etc/rc.d/init.d/lircd" so you can see the
> output then the daemon tries to start.

Running # /etc/rec.d/init.d/lircd start
gave me the following:
Starting infared remote control daemon:	[ OK ]

Before that, I had stopped mythbackend on the machine (the slave
backend) and mythfrontend.  Then, after starting lirc, I ran:
# /sbin/service mythbackend start
and
$ mythfrontend &

Still, no luck.  No errors when starting mythfrontend, but I did notice
that it is connecting to the backend server.

>> From the limited info you gave my guess (shot in the dark) would be that
>
> you don't have your modules set up properly in the /etc/sysconfig/lircd or
> in the /etc/rc.d/init.d/lircd and that the wrong module is trying to start
> (I believe lirc_serial on COM1 is the default).  It may also be that the
> serial
> port is not available and you might have to do a "setserial" (not sure
> of the
> command, I'm not typing this from Linux).
>
> Hope I've given you some ideas.  Post back with more info if you can get it
> and maybe I or someone else can help you further.

I'll have to look into this.  Thanks!

If you see anything above that looks wrong, please let me know.  I
appreciate you taking the time to respond.

-Alex