[mythtv-users] PVR choice with Radeon

Antony Gelberg antony at antgel.co.uk
Wed Feb 11 20:26:44 EST 2004

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 09:44:13AM -0800, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 February 2004 08:43, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> >
> > I'm planning to expand my workstation with myth.  I'm going to be
> > watching on a front projector with DVI input.  I have DVI out on my
> > video card, a Radeon 9000 Pro.  Would this give much better quality than
> > the TV out on the PVR350?
>
> In general, yes. The issue has been covered a few times before on the list, so
> I'd search the mailing list archive if you want to really hear about it.
>
> Higher resolution and a progressive scan signal are the two major benefits, so
> that is absolutely the way to go if you'll be watching lots of DVDs, Digital
> TV, Divx through MythVideo, etc, with your Myth box. The picture on the
> PVR-350 is a little better for analog TV, but not by a huge amount.

Right.  I was going to move my workstation into my living/cinema room,
from my bedroom/office.  But this means taking up lots of space in there,
and more importantly no way to access my monitor, keyboard or mouse in
the office.  Unfortunately DVI cables can be no longer than a very few
metres.

Does this sound like a good idea (I already have a WiFi network):

o Build minimal machine - possibly Shuttle with DVI graphics card and
PVR-250.  Small hard drive, enough to boot Debian and run Myth.  Put in
viewing room, connect to recording source (satellite) and projector.
o Create directory on exising computer, mount as NFS share.  Use this
share for Shuttle PC to record to, over the wireless network, and also
to view saved programmmes.

At least this way I benefit from my existing large disks.

I'd really like to do it all on the one box but I don't think it's
happening.