[mythtv-users] AM/FM Radio plugin?

Mike Myers mikesm559 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 13:28:08 EST 2004

I wanted to be able to tune and control AM too, because I enjoy listening to talk radio programming in the background when I am working on my computer.  While some of the TV capture cards do FM, I am unaware of any that do AM.  So I needed another solution.

I found a program called Replay-Radio (http://www.replay-radio.com/) that I run on a old windows system that connects to Internet Radio URL's and Replay Radio records them and stores them on remote filesystem.  Because many of these programs do not allow you to save the stream, Replay Radio has a mode where it installs a driver that copies whatever is coming through the audio driver.  I don't have any other sound enabled tasks that run on the system, so this works great for me.  It then transcodes the raw audio capture to mp3 with cofigurable quality settings.  It works really well.

I use this to capture AM and FM programs that are available on the web.

I haven't spent the time to integrate this yet into Myth, but it should be pretty easy, as there the Myth system can mount the filesystem with the Mp3's on it, and then import them into the media database based on the filename (which I have set as the program title and date of airing).

Take a look at it - it's pretty neat.  Now if there were only a way to remove commercials from the audio track!

Thanks,
Mike