[mythtv-users] MythTV Webmin module - anyone interested?

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Wed Feb 11 02:48:02 EST 2004

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 02:21 am, tech at gnuconsulting.com wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 10:03:29PM -0500, Isaac Richards wrote:
> > On Tuesday 10 February 2004 09:21 pm, Scott LeBrun wrote:
> > > Hi guys.
> > >
> > > I'm developing a Webmin module to enable configuration of the MythTV
> > > backend. The primary reason for this is the backend I'm developing it
> > > for will not have X installed at all - why install X to just run the
> > > backend setup?
> >
> > Export the display to another machine, or compile mythtv with qt/e on the
> > backend and run it on the framebuffer.
>
> Option 1 involves actually installing X, just not using the X server.
> Option 2 involves hanging a monitor off of the machine, plus mouse and
> keyboard.  Now, I can't speak for Scott, but my server has neither X nor
> a monitor/key/mouse, and it would be very nice not to have to install
> and/or configure any of them, for a one-time use.

You've got the X libraries installed if you're compiling against a normal Qt
(as > 99.9% of people do, especially as most distros don't bother to package
Qt/E), in which case you can just export the display.

Let's see.  X is a few MB installed.  The videos you will be recording are
multi-GB.  Each.  How exactly does it make sense to not install the X libs
(no configuration required, since you can talk to another machine's X server)
again?

Isaac