[mythtv-users] %5Bmythtv-users%5D%20Problems%20with%20apt-get%20install%20mythtv-suite

el rhino orangecowbell at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 10 20:35:59 EST 2004

hey all... trying to respond in proper threaded fashion... hope it works.

anyway, I saw Mike Kreitz's post of Feb 9; i'd been having the exact same
problem.  extra super frustrating, as i'm a linux n00b yet.  same situation:
fresh fedora core 1 install following awesome guide at:
http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/.  when at step of apt-get install mythtv-suite,
the following errors spit out:

  mythtv-suite: Depends: mythtv (>= 0.14) but it is
not going to be installed
                Depends: mythtv-backend (>= 0.14) but
it is not going to be installed
                Depends: mythtv-frontend (>= 0.14) but
it is not going to be installed
                Depends: mythmusic (>= 0.14) but it is
not going to be installed
                Depends: mythvideo (>= 0.14) but it is
not going to be installed
                Depends: mythweb (>= 0.14) but it is
not going to be installed

and so on.  what a pain.
i tried multiple apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade to make sure that
stuff wasn't tits up, no errors on other packages.
i think i traced it back to problems with lirc somehow, as that seemed to be
the lowest in the mythtv-suite chain that didn't work.  or the first to
break.  just a guess, though.
anyway, i'd followed every step and it still was giving me above errors.

only thing i could think of that i'd done NOT explicit in jarod's
instructions was the installation of xine i did, perhaps sometime along the
pre-setup of mythtv.  so... way out on a limb here, i removed xine, either
through synaptic or rpm -e, don't remember which.

only SMALL difference was that I used
kernel-source-2.4.22-1.2166.nptl_35.rhfc1.at.i386.rpm, a small version
change than jarod's current web page.

well.... like i say, don't know if it's the answer, but whatever I did
finally worked, after a number of rounds of apt-getting and removing xine.
i did have some confict issues after the first error, but those were solved
easily enough by removing 2 offending packages.  lirc and xawtv or something
similar.

SO, maybe that makes sense, maybe not.  but i thought i'd share what little
i got.

rhino