[mythtv-users] Reproduceable frontend freeze?

Alan Snyder ax763 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 10 14:41:30 EST 2004

> > Am Mo, den 09.02.2004 schrieb Eloy A. Paris um 18:00:
> >
> > <Frontend freezes when hitting 'p' while in fast rewind>
> >
> >> Can others reproduce this?
> >
> > Not here, both the mythbox (epia 6000, pvr350 tv-out) and
> the remote
> > frontend on the workstation (Athlon 2000+, Radeon 9500Pro)
> behave as
> > they are supposed to, hitting 'p' from fast rewind/forward
> pauses the
> > stream, hitting 'p' again resumes playback.
>
> What version of Myth are you using? Don't remember if I
> mention my freezes happen with Myth 0.14. I also run Debian,
> and the packages I am using are the ones Matt Zimmerman put
> together. I run Debian unstable.

Is this a remote frontend?  I could induce a freeze in the same way and it
appears to have been my old 3COM 3C595 network card.  These older cards
don't auto-negotiate properly and can end up in half duplex when the rest of
the network is full duplex.  When there's a lot of network traffic, you end
up with the card or the Vortex driver (don't know which) freezing.  The
symptom in Myth is a frozen frontend, but if this is your problem you should
also see that all network connectivity is lost.  "options 3c59x
options=0x204" (0x200 = full duplex, 0x004 = 100baseT) in modules.conf
appears to have cured it (use of options= is recommended only for cards that
don't autonegotiate properly).