[mythtv-users] Help me size next cpu, Athlon 2800+ MP enough for high quality/filters?

Torsten Schenkel torsten.schenkel at web.de
Tue Feb 10 12:31:06 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-10 at 00:31, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:

> > Hmm, maybe your issues are more related to the jacked XP not being
> > SMPable?
>
> Any XP that works with the L5 bridge hack shouldn't have a problem running in
> SMP mode. There is no other difference in the chips, so far as I know (I
> think the MP-labeled ones are "certified"). That said, I use outright MPs in
> both my dual Athlon systems...

What is tested by AMD for this certificate? Is it only a burn in test?
Or is there something like with the Radeon chips? Those with broken
channels get relabeled to lower specs? Don't know, I just know from the
old times that not every CeleronA was SMPable, it was a trial and error
procedure. The hack was definitely similar to the Athon XP->MP hack.

I never tried XP in a dual machine, since I can't afford it.

> > I can recommend the ASUS Dual Athlon board, don't know the name at the
> > moment, it's the one with the AMD chipset. That's the machine that's
> > heating my office, being used as a 24/7 number cruncher and workstation.
> > No problems since it was installed.
> >
> > Necessaties for a dual athlon:

/s/Necessaties/Necessities

> > -ECC RAM, especially when filled to the brim

> > but I have had to many
> > failures due to bad psus, last one was the failure of two disks in a
> > half terabyte raid5 file server that was reproduceably related to a bad
> > psu (600W redundant, after we traced the problem down to the two psus,
> > the system ran off a 300W Enermax for one week with no problem)
>
> Yeah, I definitely try to stay away from the "budget" PSUs for just about any
> system, not just dual Athlons.

Unfortunately the redundant psus in that case weren't budget at all, I
wouldn't call 600$ for a replacement budget, at least. I went the budget
route in installing the big Enermax ;-)

> Torsten's "Necessities for a dual athlon" ;-).
Torsten
--
Walkthrough: MythTV on Epia with PVR350 using Debian:
http://www-isl.mach.uni-karlsruhe.de/~hi93/myth/mythtv_debian_epia_pvr350_walkthrough