[mythtv-users] Backend hardware requirements - need advice

Jerry Rubinow jerryr at universal-imaging.com
Mon Feb 9 21:47:57 EST 2004

I want to set up a system with one computer just as a backend, connected to a frontend computer via ethernet. I want the backend to be able to record both HDTV (with a pcHDTV card) and NTSC (either on the pcHDTV card if that's possible software-wise, or on a separate NTSC card). I'll also be running MythMusic and MythDVD/MythVideo (whatever is required to play DVDs - I don't need to rip them).

- what kind of processor specs will I need?

- how about if I want to serve more than one frontend?

- for playing DVDs from a player on the frontend, is any backend cpu involved?

- does Myth support using a single pcHDTV card to record both NTSC and HDTV signals (not at the same time)?