[mythtv-users] Re: My notes on getting the ATI remote working with lirc

John DeLuca johnfdeluca at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 9 16:55:13 EST 2004

Question.....why use the lirc?  Isn't the gatos driver sufficient?  I ask because I considered an ATI remote as I'd like to put my myth computer inside my AV closet (behind the wall where my TV is) and wanted to leverage the RF capability of it (i.e., no line of sight needed).  If I understand correctly, using lirc means no RF?

Also, how do you like the remote?

My criteria for a perfect remote:
+ Good range (I like being able to not point the remote directly at the IR Receiver)
+ Illuminated keypad (where my beloved tivo remote fails)
+ Learning capabilities (again, the Tivo remote is limited here to learning TV for a couple keys)
+ PVR Buttons (Play, Pause, Rwd, etc.)
+ Tactile buttons (as opposed to lcd screen with no actual buttons)
+ Well shaped buttons so I don't need to look at the remote to find the button (Tivo remote excels on this one)
+ Easy to purchase additional remotes so I don't need to fight with S/O for remote
+ Central Pause button (since I use this button most often) (Tivo remote is great here)
+ JP1 Compatible for full flexibility in programming
+ Ideally works with the existing Hauppauge receiver (RC5)
+ RF Capability as well as IR so it can work thru walls