[mythtv-users] Ultimate Mythtv vid card, part II

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Mon Feb 9 15:15:46 EST 2004

	OK.. I'm hoping to sorta merge the distorted "Myth 0.14 - Version 1.0??"
 and the "The ideal video card for MythTV" threads.  A few random thoughs:

- I've got a couple of questions for the NVidia tvout folks.  Primarily, I'm
wondering if you can truly get 480 lines of bone-fide output through some
combination of drivers and/or nvtv?  When I got my GF2 MX400 awhile back, I
thought I'd be clever and got the one that has two VGA heads and video in as
well as out.  Now, I'm pretty sure I shot myself in the foot.  First off, the
second head won't do over 1024x768 or something ridiculously low, and secondly,
the VI part of the VIVO necessitated a change to a SAA7108E chip.  Looking at
the datasheet on that chip, I see it supports a maximum of 288 lines... no
wonder the tvout on it always looked like warmed over bullsh*t.

- Anyone know of a comprehensive list of which nvidia cards even have the
*ability* (through hardware limitations) of interlaced, 480-line tvout, and
sync-on-green capability?  It's tough to work so hard to get a driver hacked to
make something go, and then discover it's not possible on the hardware.

- Here's a good one...if there's a card that supports both XVideo and
Sync-on-green, wouldn't it be possible to write a dummy XVideo colorspace
"transformation" to go YUV->VUY?  The thought here is to do component out
without needing an external transcoder box.  Put the 'Y' on green with
composite sync, then put the 'U' and 'V' on red/green... just a VGA-BNC cable
and the TV's a VGA monitor.

Anyway, what does everyone think?
-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*