[mythtv-users] Feature idea: Instant record -discussed already?

Jeffrey Perry jeffperry_2003 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 9 14:06:13 EST 2004

Hi everyone!

Myth is great, I just got it going...I do have some recording issues
with my PVR350 but judging from the ivtv list, these are par for the
course when using the framebuffer and TVOUT and they are working on the
solution. (The problem in case you are interested is that sometimes the
mythbackend does not seem to record all of a show, or even start
recording it. Near as I can tell from my ivtv mailing list research,
this is due to an ivtv-fb bug - which causes a driver problem - perhaps
something to do with DMA/buffering - as a result mythbbackend can't
access the hardware to record)

My question is this, has anyone thought of adding a feature to allow you
to simply press record while watching live tv to do recording? It could
then display a dialog w/some preset recording times including a choice
for user specified amount and user unspecified amount (ie: from now
until I say) I imagine this idea has come up, it's just a question of
time before someone decides to implement it.

The implementation should also be clever and offer to tape retroactive
to the time you joined the channel. This way you could watch for a bit
and say this is neat, I think I will tell myth to record it and you
might be able to get more of the segment or even the whole show if you
caught the beginning.

PS. I would have looked this up but there is no search function on the
archive page. Is there another site with searchable copies of the
mythtv-user and mythtv-devel archives?

--Jeff