[mythtv-users] PVR350 TVOUT Working!! But Quick XFree86 Question

Scott Francis scott.francis at newisys.com
Mon Feb 9 09:13:09 EST 2004

<SNIP>

> The way your TV shows the screen is as it's supposed to be, viewable
> area of the TV is only about 644x400 (for NTSC).
>
> Go into the configuration screen "appearance" and set your GUI size and
> offset accordingly.

Ok tried this every which way to Sunday.  I could change the size of the screen, but the offset appeared to do nothing.  I worked at intervals of 50 between +-200 for both axis and the screen never moved.  Not sure if this is a bug or not, but just wanted to let you know

> Don't ever mess with the modeline! There's only two modelines the PVR
> will work with, PAL and NTSC.

Thanks a lot for the info.  Wasn't going to mess with things before I got the greenlight that it was ok.  Remember the old days of Slackware where there was the disclaimer on XFree settings of "this can blow up your monitor"

<SNIP>

>Finally, I looked at my XF86Config file and decided to play with the line:
>
>Option "TVOverScan" "0.6"
>
>This was set to 0.6 per the example in Jarod's setup guide. I tried several
>different values, restarting X after each change, and got the best result
>(although not perfect) with
>
>Option  "TVOverScan" "0.5"

Saw this in Jarod's guide also but it was for NVDIA TV-OUT not PVR350.  I tried it regardless with values of .2, .5, .6, and .8 and everything looked exactly the same.  BTW- I tried the Option in the Hauggpage Device section that defines the FrameBuffer.  If you had it somewhere else with a PVR350 let me know.

>Good luck.

Thanks, still plugging away.  If any other suggestions are out there would be great to hear.  I'm going to see if there might be some way to have my X Desktop compress itself someway via some setting.  Now that I'm here at work, I'll be able to see if the collective unix guru knowledge here can help.

Scott