[mythtv-users] ivtv not loading after upgrade to 0.14

Peter Lee petel at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Feb 9 08:36:35 EST 2004

OK, I'm stumped.  I have been running 0.13 for a couple of months with
essentially no problems on a machine with a pvr-250 running FC1, built
according to Jarod's guide.  While I have been having some WAF issues, the
system is becominga really valued and even essential part of our home now.
It's really great!  Now, my problem.

Today I upgraded to 0.14 by doing

  % apt-get update
  % apt-get install mythtv-suite
  % apt-get install ivtv-kmdl-`uname -r` ivtv

MythTV 0.14 seems to be running just fine now, but it does not appear that
ivtv is loading.  When I do "lspci -v" I get the following:

  01:09.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc: Unknown
device 0 016 (rev 01)
  Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc.: Unknown device 4009
  Memory at e4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]

which appears to be normal.  (Well, at least according to Jarod's guide, the
"Unknown device" thing is OK.)  However, "/bin/dmesg | grep -i ivtv" returns
nothing, and in fact there is no hint at all that the driver is being
loaded.  "lsmod | grep ivtv" also returns nothing.  I have not changed my
/etc/modules.conf, and it matches exactly the specification in Jarod's
guide.  Doing a "cat /dev/video0 > ..." yields the error "No such device".

Finally I tried to modprobe ivtv, but this gives the error "Can't locate
module ivtv".

Any hints on what is going on?  I suspect it is something simple, but at the
moment I can't see what the issue is.  Note that I'm able to watch the
recordings just fine (though, if course, without ivtv I don't have lirc,
either, so I'm using the keyboard instead of the remote).

Peter