[mythtv-users] How stable is your myth setup?

Tim Gray timgray.geo at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 9 06:34:41 EST 2004

My Mythbox is 100% stable and has been running
non-stop for 12 days with no problems. I record at
least 2 shows daily on it.

I was only able to achieve this by setting it up on a
slackware 9.1 Base that was stripped down for mythtv
use only, and I use the windowmanager called
ratpoison. for the frontend.

I am using a pvr250 and the AverMedia clone of the
pvr250 in the box.

the only time I have any problems is during playback
If the linux subsystem is doing one of it's cron jobs
that takes a large amount of disk resources
(rebuilding the locate database) and I solved that by
moving it to run at 3 AM local time.

I am using a cheap motherboard with a soldered on AMD
duron 900 MHZ processor, and using a cheap
scan-converter for video out.

I am a recent convert from freevo and I found that
slackware to be the best platform to build a dedicated
machine on.  I have NEVER had any good stability for a
embedded project like this out of redhat, mandrake or
debian... although I run mandrake for my desktop and
absolutely love it.

 p.s. I have built at least 30 other embedded linux
projects. I have a pocket network analyzer running a
custom linux distro + ntop, built a robot from a 386
baby motherboard running another custom distro (based
on slack though) and have helped with wearable
computing in the late 90's, as well as many other
projects for work that I cannot go into. so I'm not
just a raving fanboy for slackware... It's just the
best choice for an embedded project like a dedicated
mythtv machine in my opinion. whereas debian and
others  are best suited for servers and workstations.