[mythtv-users] Starting out - Which Distribution?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sun Feb 8 19:27:19 EST 2004

On Feb 8, 2004, at 09:31, Daniel Jimenez wrote:

> Michael Segulja wrote:
>> I am what I would consider an expert in Linux, but I'm very new to
>> the whole PVR world on Linux.  I'm very excited to have found MythTV
>> and I really look forward to seeing what I can do with it.  However,
>> I have one question before I get started.  I'm curious to see if you
>> would recommend any one distribution over another?  I don't want to
>> start some sort of flame war over this, but I'm sure there are some
>> distributions that are easier to get working than others for MythTV.
>> I prefer Mandrake 9.2, and is the distribution that I run on my
>> desktop machines.  I also recently discovered Gentoo, and although I
>> haven't installed it yet, it looks very promising because it seems to
>> be ready for MythTV once installed.
>> Thanks for your advice.  Just looking for some general ideas to point
>> me in the right direction so I can start playing around with this.

I usually recommend using whatever you're most comfortable with, in
which case, I'd be inclined to say you should use Mandrake for the most
trouble-free experience. However...

> If you are very familiar with Linux I'd definely recommend Gentoo.
> Easy install

You're kidding, right? I like Gentoo quite a bit, but I'd hardly call
it an easy install. At least not when juxtaposed to many of the other
distributions out there.

> takes care of all dependencies and you don't have a bunch of bloat.

Definitely one of the things I like. And no, speaking from the "expert
in Linux" point of view, it isn't a difficult install, but certainly
not an easy install (unless you've done it several times, which he
hasn't). The biggest part is probably that it takes forever and a day
to get everything onto the system, unless you're running on a blazingly
fast box and/or using distcc. (Forever and a day translating loosely to
"quite a bit longer than most other mainstream distros".)

> YMMV as always.

Quite a bit, especially in the case of Gentoo. But if you're already
interested in Gentoo, I will reiterate that I really do like it quite a
bit, and its certainly something worth looking at. Just be prepared to
dedicate a good chunk of time to it. There's a bit of a learning curve
there when coming from an RPM-based distro.

> Good Luck!

Copy that. ;-)

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE