[mythtv-users] Can MythMusic use iTunes mp3s??

thor mythtv at lamedomainname.com
Sun Feb 8 17:28:15 EST 2004

On Sunday 08 February 2004 14:28, Steven Sartorius wrote:
> Subject line kind of says it all.  I've got a working MythTV setup
> (CVS from Saturday 2/7) and I'm wondering whether I can use MythMusic
> to access my iTunes mp3s.

	If they're mp3's, almost certainly.

	If they're aac m4a's, in another release or two. If they're m4p's, then
probably never (DRM means removing your rights :-)  ).

> To test, I mounted my iMac's iTunes folder
> via NFS at /mnt on my myth box.  When I point MythMusic at this
> directory and 'Scan for New Music' I get lots of network activity but
> nothing seems to happen (i.e. I killed it after an hour 'cause it was
> still going).

	Scanning mp3's can take a _long_ time, especially if they're variable
bitrate files. You might try copying over a subset to a temporary
directory as a trial run.

>  Can MythMusic use my iTunes setup?? Or am I wasting my
> (and the list's) time?

	If you're comfortable compiling experimental code from cvs, try
checking out and building the mfd. This will let you automagically
share all your mythmusic content with iTunes.

- thor