[mythtv-users] Myth 0.14 - Version 1.0??

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Sun Feb 8 12:36:13 EST 2004

Quoting Brent Borghese <brent at bborghese.com>:

> I have been using Myth now for over a year and I have to say Myth 0.14
> is the best yet!!!!!!
>
> Does any body else feel that its time to call it Version 1.0 or maybe
> 2.0?
>
> I have had a TIVO for almost 2 years now and I LOVE MY TIVO, but
> yesterday I call TIVO and stop my service.
>
> Myth has jumped so so so far ahead of TIVO and any other DVR box you can
> buy, it will take years for them to catchup.
Myth has come a long way, but it's definately not ready to be called 1.0 yet.

If we were Microsoft, yeah, it would be ready for 1.0.  But open source projects
hold themselves to much higher standards.  :)

The Myth backend is still too susceptible to dying if the frontend acts wonky,
for example.

The frontend has some serious issues on some systems (Search the archives for
ReadStringList timeouts - The isssue seems to come up on a regular basis without
any known cause or fix.  I finally found out a workaround for the problem, but
the fact still remains that Qt's timer functions suck and are utterly broken,
which results in some VERY bad backend behavior.)

That said, Myth has come an incredibly long way since it started.  I tried it
back around the 0.5-0.6 days and it was *horrendous* back then.  Now, it's
extremely powerful and constantly getting better.

I'd estimate a true 1.0 candidate within 3-6 months.  (And by that, I mean a
PERFECT 1.0 - 0.14 is close to "release quality" by commercial standards, but as
I said, OSS projects typically hold themselves to higher standards.)