[mythtv-users] Help me size next cpu, Athlon 2800+ MP enough for high quality/filters?

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sun Feb 8 11:02:51 EST 2004

	I can say from my experience with a dual Celeron 300A->450 running
mythtv that some things load-share nicely.  Any particular instance of a
process doesn't benefit.  For example mythbackend ran 90% cpu with bttv at
rtjpeg 352x480.  Fortunately, there was another cpu available, so I could still
watch live TV with that configuration.  Roughly 90% mythbackend, 40%
mythfronend, 30% X.

	Funny you should mention the dual athlon, though.  I *just* put
together my new system yesterday... Tyan2466-4M 760MPX dual athlon XP 2400+.
I did the L5 bridge hack and it came up as an MP.  If this board is the
"stable" one though, I don't think I'd like to see the "unstable" one.
Although once running it's fine, it's get a really twitchy BIOS (stupid Phoenix
POS), mysterious bootup delays with ECC memory, and I'm unable to use the last
PCI slot with any of my cards, as it apparently interferes with the onboard
NIC.  Still resolving issues (obviously), but I guess once the bugs are worked
it it should be OK.  Soon the dual PIII-933 will be the mythbox.

juneau ~> cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 6
model		: 8
model name	: AMD Athlon(tm) MP 2400+
stepping	: 1
cpu MHz		: 2000.601
cache size	: 256 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 1
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips	: 3940.35

processor	: 1
vendor_id	: AuthenticAMD
cpu family	: 6
model		: 8
model name	: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor
stepping	: 1
cpu MHz		: 2000.601
cache size	: 256 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 1
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mp mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow
bogomips	: 3997.69

 On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Adrian Phillips wrote:

>     Debabrata> I really want to get a board with 64/66 pci or at least
>     Debabrata> integrated gigabit, which means getting an Intel CSA
>     Debabrata> board or waiting for the nforce3 250.
>
>     Debabrata> Right now I'm looking at a gigabyte 760mpx board with
>     Debabrata> two Athlon MP 2800+'s.
>
> If you want quality Dual Athlon then look at Tyan boards. The more
> "mainstream" dual athlon manufacturers had quite a few problems at
> least a couple of years ago (although that may have changed).
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Adrian Phillips

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*