[mythtv-users] Can someone post /etc/modules.conf for 2 sound cards for bt878 cards.

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Sun Feb 8 04:43:52 EST 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 23:12, Jarod C. Wilson wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2004, at 15:52, Bruce wrote:
>
> > I am having real difficulty figuring out my modules.conf. Seems like my
> > sound is coming in on the worng /dev/dsp, thne I get no sound, then I
> > get sound if I watch live tv and not recording. I cant seem to nail
> > down
> > what is causing what.
>
> # ALSA portion
> alias char-major-116 snd
> alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
> alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0
> # OSS/Free compatability portion
> alias char-major-14 soundcore
> alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
> alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
> # Sound card #1
> alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
> # Sound card #2
> alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
> alias sound-service-1-1 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
> alias sound-service-1-8 snd-seq-oss
> alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

(Note - this followup is not TO Jarod!  It's more of a continuation.)

And then you have to be careful about which dsp you use for what.
Example: /dev/dsp may be symlinked to /dev/dsp0, which would be sound
card 0 output.  /dev/dsp1 might be sound card 0 line-in.  /dev/dsp2
might be sound card 1 output.  And /dev/dsp3 might be sound card 1
line-in.  This is why I (and Jarod, from many many previous posts)
*STRONGLY* recommend SoundBlaster Live 5.1 cards, as they're time
tested, support DD 5.1, work quite well with ALSA, and can all but stop
bullets.

As far as capture cards?

Tell you what I'd do... I'd dump the 2 bt8x8 cards, and get a couple of
M179 or PVR-250 Freestyle cards off of EBay.  Or at least keep one of
the bt8x8 cards and get one HW encoding card.  Then I'd dump both sound
cards (if one is onboard, disable it in the BIOS), get a SB Live 5.1,
and totally enjoy my Myth setup.

(Hmm... I wonder if that's coincidence that I'm now looking at my Myth
Box in its new Ahanix series 4 case with 1 bt8x8 card, 1 Freestyle,
disabled on-board audio, and a SB Live card... ;) I swear - the previous
paragraph was not based on what I have.  It just worked out to be the
easiest solution... also it's one that's quite common on this list - and
thus supportable.)

	-I

--
                       Ian Forde, RHCE, CCSE, SCNA, SCDME