[mythtv-users] nvtv command line settings

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Sun Feb 8 02:52:05 EST 2004

On Saturday 07 February 2004 19:44, David Peach wrote:
> I have read this series of messages:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=79169;search_s
>tring=nvtv;guest=2238058&t=search_engine#79169
>
> That is what I used to get me up and running with nvtv. I am able to boot
> up and have video displayed to the TV (NTSC).
>
> I use this string to start: /usr/local/bin/nvtv -t -S NTSC -r 640,480 -s
> Huge
>
> If I just use that from the command line, everything is perfect. If I use
> this string in my startup script** then it shifts the picture to the
> right.
>
> It is adjusted about 5% over to the right. It is not that overscan is not
> working, it is that the whole image is pushed right. When starting from
> the command line or through the GUI, after telling it I want NTSC and
> 640X480 Huge, it displays perfectly.

I noticed the same issue. I was too lazy to investigate the cause because I
noticed that if I execute the same nvtv command a second time it shifts the
picture back to the correct position.

> What, in my startup string above is causing it to shift right? I looked
> through the help file (nvtv --help) and got an explaination of what I am
> typing in, but it is not acting right.

I never put any time into figuring out what was causing the problem from my
startup script. I simply added another identical line to my script to run it
a second time (I might have added a half-second sleep delay between the two,
I forget) and I got the desired result, and I forgot about it until you
mentioned it. :)

> I appreciate the help.
>
> Let me know if you need more information.
>
> BT878 based tuner
> GeForce2 based video card (does this with either SVideo or RCA)
> Gentoo 1.4
> nvtv
>
> **The way I am starting this is that I have a shell script with the above
> line in it. It is then symlinked into the ~/.kde/Autostart folder of my
> home directory. This fires it up, but is shifting the pic.

Maybe it's only a solution due to some quirk in my setup, but try running nvtv
a second time, thusly:

/usr/local/bin/nvtv -t -S NTSC -r 640,480 -s Huge
/usr/local/bin/nvtv -t -S NTSC -r 640,480 -s Huge

I know it's silly, but I'm curious to know if it works for you. ;)