[mythtv-users] Strange disk I/O

Tom Jaeger tjaeger at networksinstalled.com
Sat Feb 7 23:10:10 EST 2004

I have a new Mythtv setup
Shuttle SK41g
512 mb ram
AMD 2400+ XP
1 10 gig WD HD (system)
1 80 gig WD HD 8MB buffer(myth vid files)
I get hdparm -t
/dev/hda1:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.71 seconds = 23.62 MB/sec
/dev/hdc1:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  1.31 seconds = 48.85 MB/sec
Not to bad..now the issue.  When first set up when recording was taking
place I got very little drive activity even when watching and recording
different shows.  Now if I am recording I get 10 seconds of low activity
then 10 seconds of huge activity(solid drive light) ... When I watch the
video later there are definitely frames dropped. If myth is not
recording a program then there is no disk access at all to speak of.  I
have also noticed that mythbackend is using much more processor time
than before 100X or so. Any ideas or thoughts...?

Tom Jaeger
Network Engineer
HTTP://www.NetworksInstalled.com
561 305-6232