[mythtv-users] Show archival advice

Raymond T. Gaida rtgaida at comcast.net
Sat Feb 7 18:24:57 EST 2004

I am recording all episodes of Seinfeld. I am considering the different ways
to archive them. I am using a PVR-250 for my tuner card and hard drive space
is around 200 megs. Right now the options I see are:

1.) Leave things the way they are and watch the episodes through the
Recorded Programs section of mythfrontend. I could leave the programs as is,
or transcode them into a smaller format, like MPEG4. This seems like the
least attractive method as there are many episodes and finding an individual
show to watch could take a while. Also, this would take the most amount of
space on the hard drive.

2.) Transcode into something smaller like Divx, then use mythVideo to watch
the episodes, if that is even possible. If mythVideo's frontend can be
adapted to allow grouping of seasons, this could be a possible option.

3.) Leave everything as MPEG2 and then author them to DVD's. This seemed
like an attractive option, but it takes a long time, and will use a lot of
DVD's.

Does anyone have another method for archiving full libraries of shows? Or
would anyone comment on the options I have presented? Hopefully someone has
thought up something more elegant than what I have come with.

Thanks,

Ray Gaida