[mythtv-users] System lockup trying to watch TV or record

Gene Traxler gtraxler at globesurfer.net
Sat Feb 7 18:05:15 EST 2004

  I had a running mythtv 0.11 (debian unstable, 2.4.22 kernel, Hauppauge
WinTV, FIC Fusion AT31 motherboard Athlon XP2100+, 512 Meg ram) until
last weekend when I updated the system to current and picked up mythtv
0.13.  Since then, any time I try to activate the TV card (either
watching TV or recording), the entire system locks hard (as near as I
can tell) and I have to push the reset.  The screen is blank, sometimes
the sound is running, no keyboard or mouse, and I can't ping it from
another machine on the house network.  xawtv 3.91 works OK (can watch,
change channels, etc), motv 3.88 starts OK but the program stops
responding to keypresses after I change the channel once although I can
kill it from another session and the rest of the system is still
running.  There are no messages that seem to relate to the lockups in
the mythtv or system log files.

  I upgraded mythtv to 0.14, removed and reinstalled it, downloaded,
compiled, and installed the source files for 0.11, 0.13, and 0.14, all
of which lock up whenever I try to watch TV or record.  I think that
something else in there is actually the problem but I don't know how to
determine what.  Any ideas what to look at next?  Please???