[mythtv-users] New user questions

Tom Marshall tommy at home.tig-grr.com
Sat Feb 7 12:41:33 EST 2004

> > I tried increasing the resolution on the theory that the CPU was actually
> > unused and the load average was caused by disk activity.  I can get 256x192
> > resolution with about the same performance.  The quality isn't great but it
> > is pretty watchable.  320x240 is out of reach, it pegs the CPU and drops a
> > couple of frames every few seconds.
> >
> > Is anyone using a P3 or Celeron running about 500MHz with a hardware MPEG
> > encoder and software decoding?  If so, what kind of performance/resolution
> > does it have?
>

> I'm using a PIII 450 and a Hauppauge PVR 250 card.  Using the default
> resolution from the AT RPMs and X set to 800x600 I get smooth video
> playback.  There was a bit of jerkiness during the first few seconds of
> playback, but changing the hdparm settings took care of that.
>
> I'm not exactly sure which settings determine exactly the resolution that
> is being used (one of these days I'll read the manual)... but it looks
> great with the default settings.

Matt,

Thank you for the reply.  It seemed to me that my system would be able to
decode MPEG2 at a decent resolution because I can watch my ripped DVDs with
mplayer using just over half the CPU.  This seems to confirm the theory.

I don't recall the default setting either, but I think it's something like
480x480.

I wonder if scaling has anything to do with the performance?  The TV is 4:3
and your output is 800x600.  Perhaps you could get better quality by using,
say, 560x420, which is about the same number of pixels.

--
A lot of people are afraid of heights.  Not me.  I'm afraid of widths.
        -- Steven Wright