[mythtv-users] Re: New user questions

Matthew Wolenetz wolenetz.ma at comcast.net
Sat Feb 7 09:36:30 EST 2004

I'm using a dual Celeron 466MHz box (yes, with an ABIT MB that yields
APIC errors
even when booted with "noapic") and get smooth simultaneous capture and
playback of 720x480
4500/6000Kbps PVR-350-captured, Matrox MGA400 1280x1024 displayed video.
If I turn on the PVR-350 decoding, mythtv's backend "disappeared"
frequently (2 or more times in
a day, apparently depending on system load, especially with 0.13).  With
PVR-350 decoding
(and simultaneous capture), I have just about 1 full unloaded CPU, but
you must factor in I/O when
trying to do even more.  I've had the system smoothly capturing and
replaying MPEG2 described
above at the same time as encoding MP3's with MythMusic.  With PVR-350
decoding turned off
for greater stability, capture and playback takes a little over a whole
"CPU", with no apparent frame
loss unless I do something like un-niced MP3 encoding or lots of other
disk I/O.  Simultaneous
commercial flagging does not cause frame loss, although just the "blank
screen" detection takes
slightly longer to run than it did to capture.

The box is a good space heater and mythtv front/back combo :)

Overclocking this motherboard is definitely not recommended from what
I've seen online.  Putting
a heatsink/fan combo on the motherboard's chipset appears to have solved
infrequent (once a week)
hangs (usually while running xscreensaver...)